What is Collagen?
Collagen is the main structural protein found in the connective tissues. It’s the most abundantly found protein in mammals. Collagen is mostly found in tendons, ligaments, skin, and other fibrous tissues.
Collagen can be rigid or compliant depending on the degree of mineralization. Collagen is used in treating problems of skin and bones.
Types of Collagen:
At present, there are 28 types of Collagen that have been identified and described. Though 90% of the Collagen found in the human body is the Type I collagen.
The five most common types of Collagen are:
- Type I: Skin, tendon, bone, vasculature, and organs.
- Type II: Cartilage.
- Type III: Reticulate; commonly found with Type I.
- Type IV: Forms the epithelium-secreted basal lamina of the basement membrane.
- Type V: Placenta, hair and cell surfaces.
Uses of Collagen:
● Cosmetic Surgery:
Collagen is used widely in cosmetic surgery, especially for skin grafts required for burn accidents. It is also used for reconstruction of bones, and various dental and orthopedic surgeries.
● Bone Grafts:
Collagen is also used in bone grafting in cases of bone breaks or injuries. Collagen’s triple helical structure makes it a very strong molecule.
● Reconstructive surgical uses:
Collagen is also used for constructing artificial skin substitutes that are used for managing severe burn injuries.
● As a supplement:
Hydrolyzed Collagen turns to small peptides which are used as supplements by people for aiding joint bone health and enhancing skin health.
Collagen is used in laboratories for studying cell behavior and interactions with the extracellular environment.
Men, Women & Collagen
Collagen is usually associated with women, even though it is used by both men and women. Of course, the number of female consumers for collagen is way higher than the number of male consumers.
The reason for this disparity is that women start losing collagen in their mid-twenties, while men don’t start losing it until much later. Men’s skin is thicker than that of women, and hence women are more likely to use collagen.
Health Benefits of Collagen:
● Prevents and Helps Treat Heart Disease:
Collagen helps lower cholesterol and prevent heart disease. Collagen may also help prevent plaque from clogging up in your arteries and thus protect you from heart strokes.
● Eases Joint and Knee Pain:
Collagen is a protein found in bones; thus, it also helps heal joint pain. Continuous intake of Collagen may reduce pain while lifting heavy objects, bending, running and doing other exerting things.
● Brain and Alzheimer’s Protection:
Type IV of collagen might help prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. By increasing your collagen intake, you can create a protective shield around your brain. This shield will fight the amyloid-beta proteins that cause the Alzheimer’s disease.
● Improves Skin Elasticity:
A recent study shows that women who consume hydrolyzed collagen supplements experience greater skin-elasticity. Supplements have a more positive effect on older women since their skin has more room for improvement.
● Betters Nails:
Collagen improves nail condition. Regular intake of collagen increases the growth rate of nails by 12%, reduces the nail-breaking rate by 42% and improves the overall brittleness of nails by 64%.
Collagen for Weight Loss
A frequently asked question is whether collagen helps with weight loss or not? And the answer is, yes, it does!
Proteins keep our bodies full. As collagen is a protein, consuming it makes us feel full. Thus, it helps keep the hunger at bay. As a result, we end up eating a lot less. And unlike commercial protein powders that include a lot of fillers, collagen is a clean protein.
Collagen also makes our bones and body stronger. Regular exercise is an important part of losing weight, and collagen helps our bodies in maintaining the strength to keep going after a day’s hard work.
Thus, collagen is extremely helpful in losing weight.
Best Collagen Supplements:
Collagen can improve skin health, prevent bone loss, promote heart health, relieve joint pain and much more. Hence, using collagen supplements seems like an obvious choice.
The best collagen supplements are the ones that are completely organic and natural. Such supplements are made from animal parts, usually the bones or the skin of various animals. So if you’re a vegan, take a note!
Here are some organic collagen supplements you might want to check out:
● myKind Organic Collagen For Hair, Skin, & Nails
- It’s Vegan Certified.
- Helps with the body’s own production of Collagen.
- Supports against UV damage.
● Collagen Supplement. Supports Nails, Hair, Joints & Gut Health
- Supports Joint health.
- Easy to carry and consume.
- 100% pure organic, grass-fed bone broth capsules.
● Organic Multi Bone Broth Collagen Capsules
- Promotes healthy collagen levels in the body.
- Supports gut health.
- Keeps the joints healthy.
Best Collagen Drinks:
Collagen drinks may just be the easiest and tastiest way to consume collagen. Here are the top Collagen drinks available online:
● NeoCell – Collagen + C Pomegranate Liquid
- Minimizes fine lines and wrinkles.
- Increases skin hydration.
- Maintains strength and flexibility throughout the body.
● Heivy Collagen Drink, 10,000mg Marine Collagen
- Promotes younger looking skin.
- Improves skin moisture.
- Improves skin suppleness.
● Goson Hydrolyzed Liquid Collagen Peptide Drink Supplement:
- Promotes facial blood circulation.
- Reduces wrinkles.
- Moisturizes the skin.
Best Collagen Powder:
Collagen powder can be used as additives in your favorite drinks, making it an easy way of consuming collagen. Some of the best collagen powder supplements are:
● Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides:
- The powder is soluble in both warm and cold liquids.
- It helps keep bones and joints healthy.
- Promotes youthful skin.
● Premium Collagen Peptides Powder –
Grass-Fed, Certified Paleo Friendly, Non-GMO, and Gluten Free – Unflavored
- Can be added to oatmeals and cereals.
- Can be mixed in room-temperature or warm water.
- Keeps skin and joints healthy.
● MAV Nutrition: Collagen Peptides
- Improves digestion.
- Acts as a natural appetite suppressant.
- Helps in maintaining lean and healthy muscles.
Best Collagen Pills:
Collagen pills are also another great way of consuming collagen on a daily basis. Here are some great collagen pills to get you started:
● NeoCell – Super Collagen + C – 6000mg BioActive Collagen Type 1&3
Collagen for hair, skin, nails, joints, and bones
- Minimizes lines and wrinkles.
- Keeps the joints healthy and pain-free.
- Improves digestion.
● Best Collagen Types 1 and 3 with Peptan, Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Soy Free
- Supports skin, hair, and nails.
- Helps maintain youthful skin.
- Supports joint comfort.
● NeoCell – Marine Collagen with Hyaluronic Acid and Vita-Mineral Youth Boost
- Promotes skin elasticity.
- Contains beauty-enhancing nutrients.
- Assists in cell turnover.
Liquid collagen supplements are drinks that contain hydrolyzed collagen proteins or collagen peptides. Collagen peptides are easily absorbable forms of collagen.
Regularly consuming liquid collagen drinks hydrates the skin and makes it healthier, as long as there’s a high amount of collagen peptides in the drink.
Benefits of using Liquid Collagen Drinks:
- Improves hair and nail health.
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
- Improves skin elasticity and keeps the skin hydrated.
- Improves the appearance of stretch marks.
- Supports connective tissues.
- Keeps the joints healthy.
- Provides relief from joint pain and stiffness.
Here are some Liquid Collagen Drinks worth checking out:
● Eviva Liquid Collagen Water
● Bio Top Level: Collagen Liquid
Best Collagen for the Skin
Collagen nourishes the skin, reduces fine lines and wrinkles, hydrates the skin, and makes it younger and healthier. Collagen can be used in a variety of ways for skin nourishment, as powder, pills or in the form of collagen-rich drinks.
There are a million collagen supplements out there, but which are the best ones for the skin?
Here are some of our favorites:
● VitaDirect: Bovine Collagen
- No digestive pain.
- Supports healthy skin and hair.
- Easy to consume.
● YouTheory Advanced Formula Collagen Tablets
- Great for ligaments and tendons.
- Gives stronger hair and nails.
- Nourishes the skin.
● Collagen Peptides – A Vital Proteins
- Promotes youthful skin and healthier hair and nails.
- Keeps the bones healthy and strong.
- Supports the joints.
Side Effects of Collagen:
Everything has pros and cons, just like every supplement and medicine has a few side effects. So does Collagen. So before you make a decision, here are the most common side effects of taking collagen supplements.
● Hypersensitivity Reactions:
Collagen supplements that come from shellfish and other marine sources may cause the allergy that could lead to hypersensitivity. Other supplements that come from eggs and their derivatives can also cause food sensitivity, especially in children.
● High Calcium Levels:
Hypercalcemia (high calcium levels) is a possible side effect of collagen supplements. Collagen supplements that come from marine sources contain high amounts of calcium, which can increase the calcium level of the person consuming it.
● Bad Taste in Mouth:
Some oral collagen can leave an unwanted bad taste in a person’s mouth. Especially collagen made from marine sources leaves an extremely bad aftertaste.
Collagen definitely has more pros than cons, and the pros themselves are quite a few. A supplement that nurtures your skin, hair, nails, bones, and muscles? What’s not to like, right?
You May Like These Similar Posts…