Algae oil is made of Algae. It is the powerhouse of weight loss and nutritional elements. Now a day’s people are making oil from different food products like rice, mustard, soybeans, etc. Algae oil contains important constituent called omega-3 fatty acids which are a rich source of DHA & EPA. A great alternative to fish oil omega-3.
What is algae oil?
Algae oil or algal oil is well researched among people because they are known as anti-inflammatory agents who help you in blood clotting. As compared to fish oils, algae oil contains omega-3s that are made up of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). As algae or algal oil contains DHA and this oil is the best option for vegetarians. These oils are sustainable in nature and there are no risks if there are ocean-borne contaminants are there.
Algae Cooking Oil
How is Algae Oil made?
To make oil from algae is a very costly process. You can extract oil by mainly two methods which have been further classified into different subcategories. There are two methods which you can use for extracting oil are as mentioned below:-
- Mechanical Methods: This method is mechanism based which is further divided into two subcategories:-
- Extraction based on ultrasonic assisted.
- Expeller or Expression press.
- Chemical methods: The another method is chemical methods which have been further divided into three subcategories are as following:-
- Supercritical fluid extraction.
- Extraction through Sox let.
- Extraction through Hexane solvent method.
Apart from these, there are also two methods which are as follows:-
- Osmotic shock: This process is used for releasing cellular components for algae oil. Actually, it is the process of sudden reaction in which cells can be ruptured through a solution.
- Extraction through enzymes: In this process, enzymes are used for degrading the walls of cells react with water and acts as a solvent, hence this makes oil extracted from algae much easier. This process is costlier than hexane extraction.
There are some drawbacks of chemical and mechanical methods which we can mention in above-written points:-
- If you use chemical method it can create health and safety issues. The chemical solvents can cause health hazards.
- The mechanical method possesses dry algae which are very energy intensive.
- Supercritical extraction uses the process of equipment which is of high pressure and they both are expensive methods and energy intensives.
Algae Oil Facts (Compositions & Properties)
Algae oil has omega-3 fatty acids which are unsaturated. There are some compositions about algae oil which are as follows:-
- Fixed oils are used in algae oils because they are made up of vegetables, seeds, and
- Triglyceride is made up of three fatty acids nod glycerol.
- Two bonds in the molecule can be made up of Linoleum Acid Polyunsaturated.
- All the single atoms of carbon are bonded to Stearic Acid Saturated
- Cis and Trans fatty acids are also contained in algae oils.
Algae Oil Uses
There are some healthy uses of algae oil which are as mentioned below:-
Biodiesel can be made:
You can make biodiesel from algae oil, biobutanol, and You can also make a vast amount of vegetable oil.
Hydrogen can be produced:
You can use algae for the production of hydrogen. Green algae are also switched from production of oxygen and then convert to the production of hydrogen.
Biomass can be also produced:
You can also use algae for making biomass which has been burned in order to generate electricity and heat.
We can also make food supplements by using algae oil because they are used for producing metabolic processes and enzyme production. It has the abundant quantity of minerals and vitamins.
These can be used as stabilizing agents in pet foods, lotions, ice creams, and It also contains omega 3 and omega 6.
Fertilisers can be made by using algal oil. They can be a rich source of livestock feed.
Algae Oil (Omega-3) Health Benefits
There are some health benefits of algae oil which are as follows:-
Cardiovascular health supported
Algal or Algae oil can be used for regulating heartbeat and reducing blood pressure. It may also reduce overall inflammation, and decrease the risks of heart attacks, strokes, etc.
Helps in maintaining healthy pregnancy
It may also helpful for pregnant ladies. Because of the presence of omega-3s in oil, it can improve child’s development. It also develops brain growth if you use it during the second trimester of pregnancy.
Keeps eyes healthy
It may keep your eyes healthy with the help of fatty acids like omega-3 and omega-6. Algae oil consists of high levels of DHA and improves the retina.
It may also help in improving memory. If a person suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, it can improve life quality of that person.
Algae Oil Side Effects
Here are some side effects of Algae oil which are as mentioned below:-
- Blood-thinning: If people take too many algae oil in much quantity, it may cause clumping which helps in process of blood clotting.
- Deficiency of vitamin K1: It may create a deficiency of vitamin K1 because this vitamin is used for making proteins in the body which are responsible for blood clotting. So if your body suffers from vitamin K1 you must use restraints which ingest high levels of fatty acids like Omega-3s.
- Thyroid conditions: if a person uses too many algae oil, it may affect their thyroid condition.
Algae Oil vs Fish Oil vs Olive Oil
Algae oil is a rich source of DHA which are associated with health benefits. Algae oil is vegan oil and fish oil is not suitable for vegetarians. Olive oil is used for reducing inflammation and cardiovascular disease. Algae oil is suitable for pregnant ladies while fish oil is not. Olive oil is good for pregnant ladies. Fish oil is not allergy free, whereas fish oil is not good for allergic people.
Fish 🐟 Oil Based Omega-3 Facts
Organic Olive Oil – Health Benefits
Whole Food Marine Algae Omega-3
You get fatty acids (DHA + EPA) from marine algae, not from the fish. DHA + EPA promotes heart and brain functions. This is non-GMO, local, and organic whole food. This makes it an excellent alternative to fish oil omega-3.
Algae Oil FAQs:
Algae oil is made up of algae. It contains omega -3 which develops 97 percent brain in humans. It is not fish made oil.
You can make crude oil from algae. Biomass and biofuels are made up of algae oils. Oils like biodiesel, biobutanol, biogasoline, methane, ethanol, or jet fuel are made up of algae oil.